Wednesday, May 21, 2008


Saying Goodbye


The heartache, loneliness, and profound grief, I have seem unbearable. I'm also dealing with feelings of anger and guilt. I have second guessed decisions that had to be made regarding treatment, thinking they could have or should have done more, and I’m blaming myself. The death of a beloved pet is something no dog owner wants to think about, but sadly, it is a fact of life that they must sometimes face. We love our dogs. They become a much loved part of the family and losing one of them can be just as traumatic as losing any other family member. Dogs can sometimes be a bigger part of our lives than our human friends. Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal. Even when death is expected, letting go is never easy. With an old dog, which has had a full life, we always want a few more years together. But... though we desperately do not want to lose them, we also don't want to see them in unrelenting pain. If a dog has been suffering, death by euthanasia is often a final act of love.

Recently we euthanized our beloved "POOKIE". She was a beautiful, 11yrs old, rot/lab mix. She was very loving and very protective of our family. She will truly be missed. For the last several weeks since this has happen, I've truly been in a funk. The day we put her down I broke down, I couldn't handle it. We sat in a private room were I got to say my last goodbye's. I know she knew this was it because she was shedding a few tears of her own. Here is a pic of our baby. I'll be adding more to this at a later date. Thanks Megan for sending me the pic. We Love you and Miss you POOKIE. God Bless.

God saw you were getting tired, and a cure was not to be. So he put his

arms around you, and whispered...come to me.... With tearful eyes we

watched you, and saw you pass away, although we love you dearly, we

couldn’t make you stay. A golden heart stopped beating, hard working paws at

rest, God broke our hearts to prove to us... that he only takes the best. ~*

Pookie, the beloved rot/lab mix (August 3, 1997- April 28, 2008), was put to sleep on Monday morning, April 28, 2008.

She was the bravest of our dogs, but could struggle on no further.

Everywhere I look I see memories of her; she'll live in our hearts forever.

Bless you POOKIE."

No comments: