Thursday, April 03, 2008


This happened in 4/2006
Hey all,
Joy is not in things, but the right things can bring u joy.(whatever!!!)That's what my shorties would say. I'm so glad it's Springtime. I've coached a group of young ladies since kindergarten and (now they are 7 & 8th grade girls) they won their second championship,(Back to Back baby). It was probaly the best game (half)I've seen them play. At halftime we were down 25-8, couldn't hit the ocean w/a rock and I gave one of my motivational speeches that I'm famous for(blah blah blah BLAH!!!, not get out there and play your game). Third quarter started and they were a different team. My little shorty(MB) started it with a jumper from the corner, the team added a few steals and layups and at the end of the third we were only down by 1. A parent describe it best,"the first quarter was like a dark tunnel,were you could only see a flicker of light, and then you could hear a rumbling and the light got brighter,the freight train was coming".And that's what it was like a freight train. Once they got to rollin it was no stopping them. They ended up winning 41-33. That's right they only allowed 3pts in the third and 5pts in the 4th. It was incredible. And not to leave out my soccer team,they are incredible too. They have played most of their seasons w/9 or 10 players, always clawing and fighting to the bitter end. They were District Champs for 3 out of the 4yrs they were eligible, making it to the final game twice(coached this group since K also). I've been blessed to have some talented kids, with good hearts, that needed just a little guidance,tribute to the good parenting(THANKS PARENTS,I know you'll don't hear that enough). None of this would have been possible, without the MAN upstairs (GOD) & my bud (VINCE),who has been by my side thru the good and bad. Thanks man! I'm very proud of them as a coach and parent, to see that they didn't quit, makes me know they were listening all these years. Hopefully they learned some lessons about life thru sports and that they are fearful of nothing, not even failure, because there are lesson in defeat also. We leave each other as champions, regardless of the results of our athletic careers. It ends so bitter sweetly. I'll miss them all and hope they become the incredible young ladies I know they all can become. But as in all things this to has passed, our time though fleeting,leaves an impact. Hopefully we met some of your expectations, because you exceeded mine. Thanks for the memories, the experience and the RIDE. It's been real.

No comments: